News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The Tea Rose: Part 1, by Harriet Beecher Stowe was published in the Hartford Daily Courant on August 14, 1851.
- A hail storm passed through the state causing damage to crops and homes.
- Isaac Singer patented the sewing machine.
- Dangerous hail storms hit Ohio, leaving behind them major damage.
- An insurrection that occurred in Cuba was of much importance to the United States. A war of independence or annexation could have had an effect the United State, especially over the issue of slavery