News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- After more violent storms passed through the state there were signs of frost. It was the season of thunderstorms and tornados.
- California remained unstable.
- The South was bent on the annexation of Cuba.
- There were powerful movements in Illinois to make Senator Stephen Douglas President.
- Another hurricane made landfall after passing through the Caribbean. It landed in Florida and made its way all the way up to Massachusetts.
- Unrest continued in Cuba following a firing on the American ship Falcon by Spain, which included the execution of 51 men. The United States sent the warship Saranac to Cuba for an explanation.
- Unrest was occurring in Chiapas, Mexico.