News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was cool and pleasant
- A major fire occurred in San Francisco. Law and order were in a state of unrest
- Owners of fugitive slaves in Western Texas threaten to go into Mexican territory to bring them back.
- Wheat and corn crops were doing well in the North.
- New York experienced a violent week with robberies, murders, fires, and the stabbing of a police officer.
- Changes to the Constitution were rejected in France. This leads to a strengthening of the Republic and the chances of Louis Napoleon regaining power diminish. Tensions are temporarily soothed.
- The Canary Islands experience a major outbreak of cholera.