News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- Statistics showed that more than three million dollars in business was done annually by stores, shops and offices on Asylum Street between Main and Trumbull.
- The Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society of Boston denounced Kossuth, Webster, and Sumner.
- Four freedmen connected with a Boston brig, were convicted at Galveston of an attempt to liberate an enslaved person.
- It was reported to the Colonization Board at Washington by Joseph Jenkins Roberts, President of Liberia, that native chief Grando had attacked the new settlement at Fishtown, burning the village and killing more than eight settlers.
- A conspiracy to free convicts at the Hulks at Rochefort was discovered in Paris.