News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was warm and pleasant for the most part. Damaging thunderstorms did pass through the state.
- The Hartford Courant noted that Hartford was free of any unusual disease, but many suffered from laziness due to the heat
- Discussions continued over both Presidential and Congressional elections.
- Discussion also continued about South Carolina’s secessionist sentiments
- The ban on liquor was being strictly enforced in Maine. Liquor was being confiscated and destroyed.
- The warm weather was drawing people to the coast to enjoy being by the water, fresh air, and fun.
- Tensions remained high in France over changes to the Constitution.
- France expanded its colonization to Algeria.
- A massive earthquake hit Naples, killing at least 2500 people.