News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was generally warm this week
- The Treaty of Traverse de Sioux was signed on July 23, 1851 between the United States governments and the Sioux Indian tribe in the Minnesota territory. The Lower Sioux ceded 24 million acres of territory between this treaty and the Treaty of Mendota.
- Cholera was present in the West, but it was not a rapid outbreak.
- Louis Napoleon was struggling to hold political power in France.
- The longstanding “window tax” in Great Britain was abolished. Properties with more than ten windows were charged an additional tax in Great Britain beginning in 1696.