News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was cold and gloomy this week.
- A solar eclipse occurred on July 28, 1851.
- African American men met in Hartford this week to discuss resolutions against Colonization and the Fugitive Slave Law. They also discussed the extension of voting rights and shared use of schools.
- The harvest, especially wheat, was growing strong in the West.
- The Central Illinois Railroad was granted land. It was believed by The Times, that this railroad could help preserve the Union by linking the West and the South.
- The first correctly exposed photograph of a solar corona was made during the total solar eclipse on July 28, 1851 in Königsberg , East Prussia.