In Connecticut, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was unseasonably cold for June.
- Great discoveries of gold were made in California, as the area continued to be settled
- The Sioux and Pawnee tribes were at war
- The first prohibition law in the United States was passed in Maine
- The first baseball uniforms were worn by the New York Knickerbockers
- Tensions deepened in France over the possibility of changing the Constitution. Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, President of the French Republic and nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte, planned to extend his power over the republic. Conflict continues throughout the remainder of 1851.
- Ships reported large icebergs near Newfoundland
- Kaffir Wars continued at the Cape of Good Hope.