News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was cool and pleasant.
- The Aurora Borealus could be seen. It was vibrant with deep red colors
- The first train from Hartford to Albany on the Hudson River Railroad left.
- In Syracuse an arrest was made of a suspected fugitive slave. The military was called in when fear of riots broke out. A crowd of people threw stones at the police office which eventually led to them breaking in and carrying off the suspect. As of Oct. 2nd he was still at liberty.
- Bank failures in New York caused panic, with banks refusing banknotes from certain banks.
- The Massachusetts Temperance Convention took place in Worcester to encourage Massachusetts to pass a law banning liquor.
- The Hartford Courant published an article stating that foreign governments, including France and England, planned to back Spain in the Cuban crisis, rather than backing the United States.