News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- Major drop in the temperature occurred. Mornings were frosty and the temperature dropped as low as 30 degrees one morning.
- Displays of the Aurora Borealis were frequent all month.
- War-like demonstrations occurred in South Carolina. The demonstrations ended with champagne toasts. The Hartford Daily Courant wrote: “How many toasts will it take to dissolve the Union?”
- The New York Times started publication, selling papers for 2 cents a copy.
- There was a possibility for famine in Alabama.
- American novelist, Jame Finnemore Cooper died in his home on September 14, 1851, in Cooperstown, NY. He was best known for writing the Last of the Mohicans.
- The Emperor of Austria issued an edict calling for his absolute authority over the country.