News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- The weather was pleasant. Signs of autumn were fast approaching
- Hartford was growing rapidly. The need for tenement housing was constant as more workers came to the city.
- A fugitive slave named Daniel was captured and claimed under the Fugitive Slave Law, but due to the fact that he had escaped before the law was passed he was not to be returned to his former owner.
- Italy was in a state of unrest.
- A revolt in Southern China was growing, but was expected to lead to few results.