News in Connecticut, Stowe’s birthplace:
- A court ruled in favor of two teachers who were charged with cruel punishment for flogging a student. This ruling gave teachers the power to use corporal punishment in the classroom
- The beginning of what became the Telegraph Case started with a ruling that favored Samuel Morse when it came to entitlement for recorded messages. The Supreme Court took on the case in 1853.
- Cotton planters came together at the Cotton Planters Convention to discuss controlling price fluctuations of cotton.
- A submarine telegraph across the Straits of Dover, between England and France, was successful. This led to the initial plan to construct a trans Atlantic telegraph.
- A plague in the Canary Islands led to the death of 1/5 of the population.